Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Day 7
The first thing that I did this morning at the sail loft, was finish repairing the sails that we started yesterday. We had one more sail left and it was the most damaged. The sail was really old and had a lot of little holes all over it. I used little patches to patch them up. Rich also helped me make a big patch for a larger rip. I then sewed it onto the sail. I learned how to make the stitch smaller because the old stitch was tiny and I had to match it. After the sail was repaired I then started on a new project. I used the same tools for making the grommets to make tell tail dots. It was really fun I got to hammer on pieces of sticky cloth. After that Ben gave Emily and me another project to do which will take us a little longer to do. We are now making big bags that are about 6 feet tall. The owner Steve needs the bags for holding wood chips, which is a little strange, but it gives us a job to do. We had to do a little math in order to figure out the measurements. Then we cut the cloth and started sewing some of the seams. I was only able to sew one seam on each bag because we ran out of time. We will go back to working on the bags next Monday. That’s because Emily and I are going to study for the Safe Power Boating Exam for the next few days. We are taking the test Monday night. We have to take it because it is one of the requirements for getting a Level 1 sailing instructors certificate. We take the instructors test and class in June after Senior project, and will both be instructors for our summer jobs this summer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment