Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Day 13
I spent the morning finishing up making the pendants. They came out much better than the first time that we made them. It was great to see the improvement, plus we made them a lot faster than we did before. After making the pendants we started on a new project. One of the other guys who works in the sail loft is named Geoff, and we helped him with a project that he was working on. He was making small parachutes. A company that deploys GPS systems into the Gulf of Mexico uses the parachutes. The GPS gets dropped out of a plane into the ocean, and the parachute prevents it from breaking. The GPS's read the current and tides. The data is used for the oilrigs that are in the gulf. It is really important for them to know it because the rigs are so big and the water is deep that they don’t need anything to go wrong when setting them. The process of making the parachutes was not one of my favorites, but it was new and different. It was just a long process that requires a lot of tape and kneeling on the floor. After we made the parachutes, I learned how to make ribbon tape. They have this homemade device that makes the process much easier. I put the double-sided tape onto ribbon so it can be used for more parachutes and other things. I can’t believe that we will be done in two days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment