Monday, May 18, 2009

Day 11

After a very enjoyable, but fast weekend back home in Maine, I continued to work on my bags at the loft. I ended up getting a lot done. I learned how to do a top stitch, which is used to finish off seams, which makes them look nice. I also attached the bottom part onto the bag, which was really difficult at first. It was hard because the piece was circular and it was hard to keep the edges matched up evenly when sewing. Ben helped me out at first, which was great because I was able to learn some techniques. I had improved a lot by the time I got to the last bag. After I stitched up the bottom, I put grommets on so that it can have a drawstring to close it up. I cut pieces of line right before I left for the day. Tomorrow I will continue to work on my bag, and maybe even finish it! This is a big week, because not only is it our last week, but it is one of the busiest weeks for the sail loft. Memorial Day weekend is usually at time when people prepare for the summer. There will be a lot of people hoping to have new sails and tents for the weekend. After spending the day at the sail loft, Emily and I drove to Providence, Rhode Island, to take the Safe Boating Exam. We went to this random building where there were lots of other people taking it too. It took just under two hours to finish. The test was a little harder than I thought it would be. I studied a lot, so I hope I passed. It will be very disappointing to not pass, because it will be hard to re-take it. I don’t think they give a test in Maine, but they do require it, so I will have to find some place close by to take it instead. That is only if I don’t pass, so hopefully I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment